TWELFTH GENERATION
Married March 2, 1678.(36)



2090. Jonathan Rogers was born on Dec 31 1655 in Connecticut (Stratford, or Milford) . (36) He drowned about 1697 near Gull Island off New London. (33) He was married to Naomi Burdick on March 2, 1678.(36) They lived on a farm on the Great Neck which was given to them by Johnathan's father. Later this same farm was owned by Johnathan Jr. and he built a smaller stone house next to the original house. This farm was still in the Rogers family in 1937.

The traditional story of Jonathan's accidental death is as follows:
Jonathan had shot a seal and went for it on a log. He attached one end of a rope to the seal and the other end to his own body, in order to have free use of his hands, The seal revived and in the struggle Mr. Rogers was drawn under the water and held there. It is further stated that his son Jonathan, only seven years of age , was with his father and saw him go down. .

2091. Naomi Burdick was born about 1658 in Newport, RI. (36)

From Descendents of Robert Burdick:

"Naomi Burdick of Newport and Westerly, R. I., and New London (Waterford), Conn., prob. 2d child of Robert and Ruth (Hubbard Burdick; b. prob. Newport, abt. 1658; d. New London; m. (1) Westerly, Mar. 2, 1678, by Eld. William Hiscox, to Jonathan Rogers, b. Stratford or Milford, Conn., Dec. 31, 1655; drowned abt 1697 near Gull Island off New London, son of James and Elizabeth (Rowland) (she, the dau. of Samuel Rowland); m. (2) as 2nd wife, John Kenney [or Keeny], b. abt. 1640, son of Capt. William and Agnes of New London"

The second marriage may have taken place in 1703.

"Naomi Burdick was baptized on the day of her marriage, Mar. 2, 1678, at Westerly by Elder Hiscox, pastor of the Newport Sabbatarian Church. Jonathan Rogers was baptized by Elder Hiscox at New London, Conn., Mar. 2, 1674/5. They lived on a farm on the Great Neck given them by his father, which was afterwards owned by his son Jonathan and is still in the family. The stone house occupied by Jonathan, Jr., is still standing near the site of the house built by his father. Nearly all the members of the Waterford Seventh Day Baptist Church are their descendants. This church was organized in 1784 by Eld. John Burdic k of the Hopkinton (Westerly) Chrch. Samuel Hubbard gae his grandfather's (Thomas Cocke) Bible (he was one of the Protestant martyrs burned at the stake May 26, 1555) to his granddaughter, Naomi Rogers. She is supposed to have given it to Judeth (Rogers) Potter, wife of Thomas Poter, who in turn gave it to her daughter, Mary Potter. Mary gave it to Miss Mary Saunders, dau. of Peleg of Potter Hill. It is now in the Library of Alfred University, Alfred, N.Y., and is supposed by some to be the Bible of John Rogers, the first martyr.

Children were:

Home Return to Table of Contents