|17920. Richard Platt
was born in 1604 in England.
(21) He died in
1684 in Milford, CT.
From George Wood Platt,
He was married to Mary Wood (Despite, I think, the assertions in George Wood Platt.
|17921. Mary Wood was b. 10 Nov 1605 in Roydon, Essex, England
8960 i. Isaac Platt.
4488 ii. Epenetus Platt Sr.
Return to Table of Contents
Information from http://members.tripod.com/dcukro/platt.htm - Thank you.
Descendants of Richard PlattGeneration No. 1
1. RICHARD 1 PLATT Sources: (1) James Savage, A Genealogical History of Early New England, Vol 2., (2) Rebecca Donaldson Beach, Reverend John Beach and John Sanford and Their Descendants, (The Tuttle, Morehouse & Taylor Press. New Haven1898)., (3) Elizabeth M. Leach Rixford, Three Hundred Colonial Ancestors and War Service, (Tuttle Company, Vermont. 1934)., (4) Frederick Virkus, Abridged Compendium Vol I., (5) Royal R Hinman, Connecticut Puritan Settlers, (Press of Case, Tiffany and Company. Hartford. 1852)., (6) George Norbury Mackenzie, ed., Colonial Families in the United States, (1907, New York).) Richard was born September 28, 1603 in Ware, Hertfordshire, England, and died 1684 in New Haven, CT. He married MARY WOOD. Sources: (1) Mary Powell Bunker, Long Island Genealogies, (1895, Joel Munsell's Sons, Albany, NY)., (2) The Colonial Society of Pennsylvania 1950., (3) Eliza Jane Johnson, "Newtown's History and Historian," CT, 1917., (4) Elizabeth M. Leach Rixford, Three Hundred Colonial Ancestors and War Service, (Tuttle Company, Vermont. 1934).), Mary Wood was the daughter of JOHN WOOD.
Notes for RICHARD:
Ware was a market town which was a hotbed of Puritanism in the early 17th century. The famous Rev. Charles Chauncey, who would later be president of Harvard College, was vicar of Ware from 1627-33, emigrating to England in 1638. Richard Platt was no doubt influenced by his preaching. In his will he left a Bible for each of his 24 living grandchildren. He was no doubt educated at the Grammar School at Ware, and probably became a tailor like his father and grandfather, as he was apprenticed in 1629.
In 1639 he was a free planter in Milford and his home lot was #38, consisting of 4 acres and 1 rod, near the corner of the present West Main and Cherry streets. He landed at New Haven in 1638, with his wife and four children.
After his arrival, he acquired possession, among others, of several acres of land in what is now (1891) the best part of the Elm City (it was on the south side of Chapel Street, near College Street, adjoining the ground of Peter Prudden) in what was called "the Hertfordshire quarter."
Among the first settlers of Milford, November 20, 1639, arriving with four in his family. He and his sons John and Josiah are among the original purchasers and proprietors of New Milford. His name is on the list of free-planters of Milford in 1646. He was chosen deacon in the first church in Milford in 1669. His daughters Mary and Sarah probably died before he made his will in 1683, for in it he makes bequests to their children instead of to them.
He left to one of his heirs a legacy "towards bringing up his son to be a scholar."
He appears on the records as one of the witnesses to the will of Peter Prudden.
His estate was estimated at about £600.
His burial place is unknown, no stone has been found to mark his grave. It was probably in his orchard.
His name is on the coping stones of the Wapawang memorial bridge in Milford, commemorating the early settlers.
Marriage to Mary Wood is registered at Ware and at Roydon, on the same date. He is called "Deacon".
Huntington Historical Society -
"Records of the Colony and Plantation of New Haven 1638-49", by Charles Hoadley, states: "Rich Platt - an estate worthe £200 - twenty acres in the First Division - four acres in the Second Division". Part of his property consisted of a plot on the south side of Chapel Street near College Street, adjoining lands of Peter Prudden in the so-called "Hertfordshire Quarter".
This fact undoubtedly influenced his early participation in the beginnings of the settlement of Milford within the limits of the New Haven Colony and located 10 miles west of New Haven itself, on the shores of Long Island Sound. The colony was under the leadership of Peter Prudden, a former Anglican priest, and a group of faithful adherents from Hertfordshire who had emigrated in 1637. It was only natural that the Platts, coming a year thereafter, would gravitate to this settlement of their old neighbors.
The Prudden movement from New Haven was not one of dissatisfaction but stemmed from a desire to organize their own church body and town structure. Prudden, who was only 37 at the time, patterned the town after New Haven but was somewhat more tolerant concerning church membership. In 1639 the group acquired the Indian title and on November 20, 1639, some 44 church members were franchised as "free planters". Among them was Richard Platt, with his wife Mary and their four oldest children, Mary, John, Isaac and Sarah.
At Milford Richard owned House Lot #38 in the northeast sector of the settlement, somewhat south of the north line of the palisades and consisting of a 4-acre, 1-rod plot. Even after moving to Milford he retained some of his New Haven property.
In 1646 the Indians were on the war-path and for protection the Milford settlement was fully palisaded. Each household was required to provide one watch for sentry duty every fifth day.
Richard was chosen deacon of the first church in 1669. His will, dated 1683, has not been located among the early probate records of Connecticut, but is said to have mentioned his five sons and the children of his daughters Sarah and Mary, leaving some presumption of their earlier deaths.
Some of his sons relocated. John and Josiah were among the original proprietors of New Milford, north of Danbury; John later moved to Norwalk. Isaac and Epenetus moved to Huntington, while Joseph remained at Milford. Although in 1962 Platt descendants are scattered among 32 states [and Mexico!], there still remains a core of the family maintaining possession of parts of their original Milford holdings, descendants of Richard's sons Josiah and Joseph.
Richard's profound Puritan beliefs were probably influenced by Rev. Charles Chauncy, Vicar of Ware from 1627 to 1633, who emigrated to New England in 1638, was a teacher at Plymouth and President of Harvard College from 1654 to his death on 19 February 1672.
On 13 July 1629 there was an "Order that Richard Platt of Ware and his apprentice be brought before certain justices, that some order might be taken to end the differences between them."
Richard and his wife disposed of their lands and houses at Ware by a final concord signed at Westminster on 25 April 1638, receiving £42 for the premises. They may have had to stay in or near London while awaiting passage, and sailed to New England either in the latter half of 1638 or the first half of 1639.
His property in New Haven consisted of an estate worth £200; 20 acres in the first division of lands; 4 acres in the "Neck"; 12 acres of meadow; 48 acres in the second division, and paying a yearly rate of £1. He evidently had a comfortable estate and lived in the "Hertfordshire" quarter of the town, with William Fowler, Mr. Peter Prudden, James Prudden, Edmund Tapp, the Widow Baldwin, Zachariah Whitman and Thomas Osborne. He gradually sold his property after moving to Milford.
He joined the church at Milford on 29 January 1640, and his wife on 15 August 1641.
He was often asked to act as witness to wills; on 26 July 1656 he witnessed the will of Rev. Peter Prudden. As Mrs. Selleck points out (Miner Family, p. 147), "he was a man of high character and deeply religious, and was chosen deacon of the Milford Church in 1669. When his daughter Sarah was widowed, and prior to her second marriage, he cared for her and her children, and the court records refer to his extreme care and liberality in conserving the estate of his... grandchildren".
The inventory of his estate was taken on 13 February 1685.
Marriage Notes for RICHARD PLATT and MARY WOOD:
Richard Platt came to this country from England in 1638 and settled in Milford. Among the capstones of the Memorial Bridge in Milford is one with this inscription:
"Deacon Richard Platt
Mary His Wife."
Children of RICHARD and Mary were:
2. i. MARY2 b. 1629, Roydon, Essex, England; d. June 17, 1669, Middletown, CT.
3. ii. JOHN b. 1631, Ware, Hertfordshire, England; d. November 06, 1705, Norwalk, CT.
4. iii. ISAAC b. April 10, 1633, Ware, Hertfordshire, England; d. July 31, 1691, Huntington, NY.
iv. SARAH b. 1636, Ware, Hertfordshire, England; d. May 15, 1670, New Milford, CT; m. (1) THOMAS BEACH (Source: (1) James Savage, A Genealogical History of Early New England, Vol 2., (2) Rebecca Donaldson Beach, Reverend John Beach and John Sanford and Their Descendants, (The Tuttle, Morehouse & Taylor Press. New Haven1898)., (3) George Norbury Mackenzie, ed., Colonial Families in the United States, (1907, New York).); m. (2) MILES MERWIN (Source: (1) James Savage, A Genealogical History of Early New England, Vol 2., (2) Rebecca Donaldson Beach, Reverend John Beach and John Sanford and Their Descendants, (The Tuttle, Morehouse & Taylor Press. New Haven1898)., (3) George Norbury Mackenzie, ed., Colonial Families in the United States, (1907, New York).).
5. v. EPENETUS PLATT, b. July 12, 1640, Milford, CT; d. 1693, Huntington, NY.
vi. HANNAH PLATT, b. 1643, Milford, CT; d. Norwalk, CT; m. CHRISTOPHER COMSTOCK, October 06, 1663 (Source: (1) Elizabeth M. Leach Rixford, Three Hundred Colonial Ancestors and War Service, (Tuttle Company, Vermont. 1934)., (2) Royal R Hinman, Connecticut Puritan Settlers, (Press of Case, Tiffany and Company. Hartford. 1852).).
Notes for CHRISTOPHER COMSTOCK:
Christopher lived in Fairfield and Norwalk, Conn. His will, dated Norwalk, 22 December 1701; proved 4 January 1702-3; Hinman says Christopher2 brought with him from England a silver tankard with his coat of arms upon it. His great-grandson, Major Samuel Comstock, gave it to the church at Wilton, Conn., and it was melted up. Christopher was the father of eight children, the 4th Mary3, born 19 February 1671; married 18 January 1693. Hannah Platte, wife of Christopher2, was the 5th child of 7 children of RICHARD PLATT (South Britain Sketches and Records, by W. C. Sharpe, p. 101). (Soc. Col. Ward, p. 116)--Christopher Comstock 1625-1706, Norwalk and Fairfield, Commissioned Deputy at the General Court 1686-Sergeant 1654-1702 (The first soldiers of Norwalk, Conn., Records, p. 19)--Christopher Comstock granted Home Lot. (D. F. P. A. 1913)--William Comstock, b. about 1590, d. after 1662, m. Elizabeth Daniel. (D. F. P. A., p. 100) Wm. Comstock, b. abt. 1590, d. after 1662. Came from England, settled at Wethersfield before 1641. Granted a lot in Pequot near London and built a Corn Mill there, 650.
6. vii. JOSIAH b. 1645, Milford, CT; d. January 01, 1724/25, Milford, CT.
7. viii. JOSEPH b. April 01, 1649, Milford, CT; d. Milford, CT.